September 5, 2008

Trusting God

As most of you know, I really enjoy getting to know people and having deep, real relationships with them. (as a side note, having deep relationships sure does make transitioning between stages of life much more difficult!) Well, this past week as I've started classes and the thousand pages of assigned reading, I have had the privilege of touching base with some friends and in our conversations, I've been thinking about this concept.

Being that we have all been born into a sinful and fallen world, we are all doubters. Some people struggle with doubt more than others. Few Christians today will claim they have the true "faith of a child." Is that ok? Does God expect us to trust Him blindly even amongst all of our fears and doubts and hurts? Well, I'm not sure if He expects us to, but I do know that He wants us to. I also know that He has so much grace for us.

I think that God takes delight when I ask and allow Him to prove Himself faithful to me. Granted, He has done that more times than I could even begin to count. I have so many specific memories of how God has revealed Himself as Faithful. Still, I think God likes to continue to reveal that aspect of His nature to me. Let me explain:

There have been times in my life when I have been worried or overwhelmed with situations and honestly have doubted that things might work out. In those moments, the enemy comes in and begins condemning me as faithless and weak. The common response to that condemnation would be my feeling inadequate as a follower of Christ. In short, this would work to push me further away from the Lord.

On the flip side, when I have doubts, even though He has proven Himself so very faithful, I've just taken the opportunity to ask for His grace once more. And then I've just been honest with Him and told Him that I want to trust Him and am trying to, but that in my weakness it is difficult. I sit back and watch Him do His thing. His everlasting love pushes forth in grace and His faithfulness is revealed in an even deeper way. And I honestly believe that He enjoys doing it. I'm sure that He would rather I be honest with Him and allow my faith to continue to grow as compared to my feeling worthless and shameful for not trusting Him.

I know that I enjoy showing the extent of my love to my friends. However, I'm only able to do that as they give me opportunities to. I can't force myself upon them to prove to them my love. My heart overflows with joy, however, when I'm given the chance to do it. I don't get frustrated at having to do this. It truly becomes a joy for me to reaffirm my heart to them. And I believe that the Father's Heart also takes delight when I give Him the chance to reaffirm His love and faithfulness to me.

May you find peace as you ask the Lord to continue to prove Himself faithful to you. And may you see His delight in doing so.

Grace and Peace

5 comments:

April said...

The Lord keeps bringing up trust in all the places I have been lately...staff mtg, Wesley, in church with different people. And what I have decided is that if we come to understand God's nature and that He is GOOD and that He loves us and has GOOD things for us...not in a prosperity kind of way...but in a "I don't have to doubt God because He is real and amazing and GOOD" kind of way. Thanks for this post! The Lord is confirming a lot....and I think I am going to teach on this tomorrow night at SNL. Hope you're doing well!

Anonymous said...

Trust is definately something we all strugggle with but ultimately we can't get anywhere without trusting in HIM! He will always take care of us! Miss you Jeffrey!
-Sarah Frances

Elizabeth said...

AMEN!! That is something I have been working on in the recent past and currently. It is one struggle that was not fun, but a good one to go through. I miss you!! Take care and know you are loved dearly!

Elizabeth said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!! Hope you have a great day! I love you very much!!

Shae said...

He is faithful, and like any father, he does find joy in proving himself faithful to his children and watching us delight in him. Continue being awed by our Father in heaven and trusting in him. Love you lots.
Shae
PS - Happy Birthday, Uncle Jeffrey from Evan and Shelby.