September 9, 2008

what we learn from birthdays

So, today I officially turned 26 years old. Yeah, I know. I'm getting on up there. Even though my sister was certain that I was turning 27, I assure you, I'm just now 26. And I've noticed a very interesting thing throughout the day.

First of all, without Facebook, I'm not sure that anyone would really know when other people's birthdays are. But more importantly, it always catches me off guard to see who I get birthday greetings from. There are those people whom you would straight up expect to send you greetings: parents, siblings, the closest of friends. And I did recieve greetings from most everyone of them. Through cards, emails, phone calls, and text messages.

There are others whom call or send you a text and while it doesn't surprise you that they put forth the effort to bless you, you also wouldn't be offended if they had not done it. This isn't because you don't appreciate their thoughts. It's simply because you don't expect them to do it.

But most interestingly of all, there are those people whom you would never expect to hear from. People that you haven't talked to for months, or even years. People whom, honestly, had it been their birthday, you may not have put forth the same effort. Yet, you're still blessed and somewhat overwhelmed from their kindness.

So, even though I'm in a brand new place, where very few people even knew that it was my birthday, I have been overly blessed. Thanks for all of the wishes and greetings.

And, upon your next birthday, may you be just as overwhelmed and surprised by those unexpected greetings as I was.

Grace and Peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know that your words touched me deeply. God is truly using you to reach out to others and I am one of them. I hope you don't mind but I want to quote you on one of your comments about condemnation in our bible study tonight.I am so proud of you and the way God is revealing himself to you and through you to me. You are such a blessing and I love you more than words can say. I am so very proud of you and your life.
Love Mama