September 10, 2008

the power of television

Living in a dorm again has been quite interesting. In most ways, I have enjoyed the simplicity of it and the community aspect it tries to create. However, I want to share with you one aspect of how TV plays a role in a dorm.

Now, on the one hand, I really enjoy not having my own television and the fact that I have not seen anything on TV for the past two weeks. It helps to not be distracted by it and to realize that in contrast to our culture, TV isn't necessary for life.

Downstairs, however, there is a nice lounge with couches and a huge television for all of the guys to share and use as they so desire. The primary tool used for the shared use of the TV is a simple sign-up sheet hanging outside the lounge door where anyone can reserve the television, in a 3 hour block, for a certain time they want to watch a program.

I have always been amazed, or should I say amused, at people whose actual schedule in life revolves around the need to be in front of a television for a certain show on a weekly basis. I've never been able to fully understand how the TV has that much control over someone's life. Well, I got an even greater realization of the power of television this afternoon.

As I was coming in the door, I just happened to look at the sign-up sheet to see if the TV was reserved on Saturday afternoon. If it was free, I thought I might try and watch my Georgia Bulldogs(GO DAWGS!) take down the South Carolina Gamecocks at 3:30. And people, the sign-up sheet was not one sheet, but about 5 sheets worth of reserved television times spanning from today until December. That's right, December! Obviously not every hour between now and then, but still.

I had to then pick my bottom lip up from the floor. How is it that someone's life, 4 months from now, can already be decided and their time reserved for a television program. I can't understand it. I'm all for supporting your teams and can understand watching your favorite program when you are free to. But how can someone already have the next 4 months of their life planned around a big picture box? Please help me understand. I just don't get it.

May your life be free from the bondage that televisions can impose.

Grace and Peace

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

You are so correct!! I used to be one of those people that was glued to the TV. I must admit I will record shows and just watch them later, but I am not as bad as I used to be. I have realized that those shows do not define your life. We need to enjoy our life enough, and the people around us, to be able to turn the TV off. Thanks for the reminder!! Hope you have a great day!! Love ya lots!!!