January 19, 2009

Coffee with a Christian Korean

As you may recall from this earlier post I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Moses. He is a first year student from South Korea and he has such a gentle spirit and a compassionate heart.

A few days after I returned from Christmas break, Moses sent me a message asking if I could pick him up from the airport when he would be returning from his holiday travels. Of course I didn't mind and enjoyed getting to spend more time with him during the drive back to campus.

Moses insisted on buying me a meal or treating me in some way as recompense for picking him up. I assured him that was not necessary and it was truly my privilege. A few days later, Moses began to insist again on going to get a meal or coffee together; although this time it was because he would soon be moving away. Over the Christmas break, he found out that another seminary here in the states was going to offer him a much more substantial scholarship and he simply could not turn that down. Also he was excited because this seminary is located in Washington D.C. where there are many more Koreans, thus a higher probability of "finding a nice Korean girl." (Moses' words)

His decision was completely understandable, yet I was sincerely saddened by his news. Of course I complied and assured him that we would hang out before he left. So last Thursday he and I went to get coffee, on him of course because he would have it no other way. (As a side note, it always seems strange for me to speak of getting coffee with someone as lingo for spending time talking with a friend because I don't even drink coffee. Always a cup of tea for me. Did someone say "Chai"?)

In my own ignorance and self-absorption, I thought our time spent "getting coffee" would be an expected saying good-bye of sorts and your general "it was nice to meet you." However, I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of our conversation. Moses really opened his heart to me and shared the struggle he had faced. He understood the necessity to accept this scholarship and move to a school with a larger Korean population, however he remained confused as He had felt so strongly that Asbury was the school where the Lord had led him to come. It was disheartening and encouraging at the same time to share in his struggle.

First of all, I was so honored that he was willing to share with me. Secondly, I was surprisingly comforted by the reality that my Korean Christian brother was dealing with so many emotions and struggles that are not foreign to me or my experiences. Although I remain unable to speak any of the Korean he has tried to teach me (I still can't even properly pronounce my Korean name), our connection as members of Christ's body allowed a Georgia boy and Korean from the huge city of Seoul to search out and find another depth to the Kingdom over coffee in a small town in Kentucky. Although very different, he and I discussed the "culture shock" that we have both experienced here in Wilmore, as well as the delights and struggles of seminary. We discussed the anxiety, fear, and excitement of the ministries that await us. And we continued our conversation of what it means to be a Christian in the society that you find yourself in.

I am undeservedly blessed by the past few months spent with Moses, and as ironic as this is, look forward to the possibility of visiting my nation's capital one day and allowing my Korean friend to show me around (I've never been to D.C.). How funny is that? Helping Moses pack his stuff was filled with the joy we share in the Lord, the affirmation we've shared with one another as Christian brothers, and the sadness of seeing a friend leave.

Whether I visit Moses in D.C. one day or in Seoul, South Korea, I look forward to spending more time with a Korean Christian over coffee. I am so grateful for the expansion of my understanding of the Kingdom that has resulted from time spent with Moses. I pray blessings over him as he goes. May you continue to seek out the Kingdom in your corner of the world surrounded by the diversity and beauty of God's children

No comments: