January 15, 2009

Wading through the waters becomes sludging through the ice!

With students and staff from all over the country, and even the world, it has been interesting of late to listen to everyone discuss the weather. If you know me, you know I have been freezing. The very core of my being has not gotten warm for the past several weeks. It truly aches. Today, for instance, we are celebrating a high of 10 degrees, with a low of 1 degree. With that, the wind chill is expected to be around -15 degrees. OUCH!!!

True, we aren't dealing with much snow, but this cold down right hurts. As I've continued to express, I would rather sweat my life away than to be so cold that no number of blankets can keep me warm.

Still, you know God has a sense of humor. I had to work this past weekend for a special event and on Sunday evening as I was driving back to campus, I decided to stop at Sonic to get something to drink. I was excitedly anticipating the diabetic shock of a Rt. 44 sweet peach tea. If you have not experienced this taste of heaven, I highly encourage it! As I saw the car hop approaching my window, I began to get a bad feeling. He must have been a 16 year old kid who was enjoying his very first job. With a big smile on his face, and his pre-pubescent voice, he said "Good evening sir," (yes, that made me feel old) just in time to watch the Rt. 44 tea begin its descent into my car. In his reaction to try and catch the cup, he managed to poke a huge whole in the side of the foam and before he could get the drink back out of the window, I was soaked. Now granted, there is more sugar in that drink that should probably be allowed. Still, do you know how sticky the inside of my car was?

The young man began apologizing profusely and I assured him that it was fine. This was obviously an accident and I simply needed to get it cleaned up. He brought his manager out to apologize to me as well, followed by the delivery of several random Sonic coupons. (Anyone want a 2-for-1 corndog coupon?) As I was sharing this story with some friends back on campus, they commented on how great it was of me that I didn't get upset or react poorly to the situation. However, although I do possess a rather calm demeanor, I quickly corrected them to not give me the credit for controlling my reaction. The reality of the situation was this: I WAS FROZEN! There was no possibility of me reacting. I couldn't even think I was so cold. Do you know how quickly a soaked sweat shirt will freeze while standing outside to clean 5 lbs. of sugar out of your car?

As I drove back to an emergency hot shower and change of clothes, I seriously just had to laugh. I mean, this had to have been a rather hilarious event for anyone watching. I sure hope I can continue to find the humor in the debilitating discomfort of the cold. If not, I may simply just freeze, to the point of no longer existing.

As I anxiously await the return to a beautiful 40 degree day (although I would honestly prefer 80 or 90 degrees), I just pray that the heater in my car does not quit working. That may be the end of my world.

May you all stay warm and find some form of enjoyment in the weather around you. (For those of you in the Southern hemisphere right now, I am sooo jealous)

3 comments:

Heather said...

better to be cold than hot, cause when you're cold you can just put on a sweater.

i'm just sayin'.

amay said...

freeze to the point of no longer existing? I mean really Jeffrey.

Jeffrey Waters said...

listen alyssa, you aren't living up here in it, with a car who's heater doesn't work so well and a dorm room that is always only 10 degrees warmer inside than out. so yes, i can be dramatic, but not about this!