November 22, 2008

Culture Shock, part 2

Over a month ago, I shared with you about the Culture Shock that I have experienced since living here in Kentucky. While that has not changed much, I do want to also share with you another aspect of the culture of Asbury Seminary that I have enjoyed.

While this city and most of this state is very white, I must admit that there is a very nice international population on campus. There are students here from South Korea, India, Tanzania, Kenya, Brazil, and the list goes on and on. I have found much joy in getting to know several of these students and hearing their stories. I find myself drawn to sit with them in the dining hall and just listen. There is so much for me to learn from their perspectives and experiences. Knowing their personal stories helps me to digest all the Lord is teaching me about His Kingdom.

In small ways, I believe the international travels that I have experienced helps me to respect and appreciate who they are and all they have to share. There is one student in particular from South Korea that I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know. His name, or I should say his American name, is Moses. He is so much fun to talk to and I have so much respect for him. I already have an invitation to come visit him in South Korea one day and eagerly long for the Lord to provide that opportunity for me. As we were talking about his American name and his Korean name, he decided that he would give me a Korean name as well. Because I can't type in Korean, here is a picture of what my Korean name looks like:



This is obviously a vertical image of the name, which is how he typed it out for me. You want to know the really cool part about this story? My new Korean name means exactly the same thing as my American name, and Moses did not even know what "Jeffrey" means. He said that he gave me this name, which means "peace" because he felt like it fit my personality. What a blessing! I truly believe in the power of a name. There is much power in the name of Jesus, and I believe He will bring purpose and power in our lives through our names as well. I'm trying to get Moses to teach me some Korean; however, I am hopeless at being about to make the correct sounds to pronounce the words.

Needless to say, I find much joy and blessing in the diversity of multicultural students that are on campus.(that is good since I will mostly be surrounded by only the international students over our Thanksgiving break when everyone else heads home for the week) Granted, this does not make up for the lack of national diversity that we have here. Nonetheless, it is still a great blessing that I believe is a beautiful picture of the Kingdom of God.

Again, may you find the beauty and blessing in the diversity that surrounds you and when given the opportunity to expand your experiences beyond our boarders may you have the joy, desire, and willingness to do so.

1 comment:

amay said...

You should say "Bwana Asifiwe" to the student from Tanzania!