November 19, 2009

Christian Thanksgiving, part 2

One other aspect of thanksgiving that is relevant for Christians is the way in which it affects our heart. Now, when I write "thanksgiving," I'm referring to the act of giving thanks, and not solely the holiday.

In the Colossians and 1 Thessalonians passages I referenced in the previous post, we are encouraged to give thanks in all things and in every circumstance. This seems like a simple enough concept. Still, I pose the question: Why? Why should we, as the children of God, always give thanks?

I believe one reason is because of the humility it helps to develop within us. If I am daily thanking God for _________ , then I am less likely to develop a sense of entitlement for ________ . Whether that is my health, my home, family, friends, financial provision, ministry, food, conversations, books, art, music, etc....

So often in life, especially in this American culture we live in, we all too quickly establish a sense of entitlement to most things we enjoy in our lives. Unless we have had to work really really hard for them, we grow numb to the reality that they are all a gift from God.

Yet, a result of giving thanks is that we are reminded nothing we have in our lives is a right. It is all a blessing. Had I been born in another country at another time in history, my life would look a lot different. So much of what I enjoy in life today, check that: All of what I enjoy in my life today is an expression of the goodness, the graciousness, and the generosity of God.

May we give thanks in all things, being reminded that we are not entitled to anything on this earth. And in so doing, may we grow in humility. May your act of thanksgiving the next few days be an act of worship. And may it saturate every area and every day of your life.




On a personal note, I ask for your prayers. A very dear friend of mine lost his brother yesterday. There was a fatal incident and Michael was killed. Sean, who was in Brazil at the time, is preparing to fly home to be with his family. They have gone through so much in their lives. My first response is that I want to suffer so that Sean doesn't have to. Yet as I know that is not possible, I try to remember that Christ's suffering on the cross allows Him to truly intercede on Sean's behalf and carry some of this pain. So would you pray for Sean, his mother and sister and all of his family as they begin trying to grieve through this together?

Sean, I love you so much.
May the Holy Spirit breathe Peace on you.
May the Prince of Peace wrap you in comfort.
May the God of all comfort hold you close.
May Love surround and protect you and your family.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen and Amen! Sean and his family are in my prayers