February 22, 2009

This doesn't fit anymore

My newest nephew's almost 11 weeks old. And he has just moved from his newborn clothes to 0-3month sizes. And this is only because of his height. The clothes are still too big for him to actually fit his waist. Talking about this with my sister the other day reminded me of something that the Lord shared with me back in the fall.

Think about those times when you have clothes that don't fit anymore. Perhaps you've been sick for months and have lost weight to the point where those really comfortable jeans are difficult to keep on without a belt. Or maybe the holidays have left their mark on you and that favorite shirt is a little too tight. Still, these are your favorite pieces of clothes, so you force yourself to keep wearing them as long as possible.

I was thinking about this, and actually dealing with it in the fall as I had lost weight while battling with my illness. I assumed I'd be gaining the weight back when I got healthy, thus I just kept wearing my jeans and letting my belt do all the work. No need to worry about new clothes if I wouldn't need them for good.

Sometimes, I find myself thinking about my relationship with God in a similar way. Whether it comes from intellectual growth, relational growth, or emotional growth, or even a struggle with any of these areas, my "spiritual size" changes (spiritual size = relationship with the Lord). I then think about what I must do to adapt accordingly to my new "spiritual size." Depending on the situation, perhaps I need to now be praying more. Maybe my desire is to start spending more time with friends or more time studying. Perhaps I need to stop worrying about money or what someone thinks of me. Essentially, I think that I need to change my "spiritual clothes" (my actions, behaviors, or ways of thinking) in order that I may fit into my "spiritual size."

Does this make sense?

What the Lord showed me gave me so much peace. The Lord simply quieted my heart one night and said, "Jeffrey. You don't have to worry about changing (actions, behaviors, thoughts) in order to 'fit' into the new and transformed you. If I have my way, you will always be changing. If you will allow Me, I will constantly change you more and more into the image that We first created you in; Our image. So quit worrying that your 'spiritual clothes' aren't the correct fit for you 'spiritual size.' You never need to worry about fitting. The reason is that you will never fit in Me. I didn't create you that way. You are made so that I may fit inside of you. And as you grow, change, and transform, I am perfectly able to fit Myself inside of you. Quit worrying about whether or not you 'fit' in Me. You don't wear Me. I want to wear you. Just let Me live inside of you and I'll always fit."

So, now I sit. This is somewhat of a different mindset. Seemingly a simple one. Still, all the Lord wants to do is to live inside of me. I need not worry about trying to measure up to be worthy of who Jesus wants me to be. All He asks is that I give him myself, and He'll fit inside of me. After all, He has made me who I am for a reason. And He'll continue to change me for a reason. As I allow Him to transform my "spiritual size," He'll do the work of filling me in exactly the right way.

May you find peace in the Lord and remember that you don't have to try to 'wear' God. As you let Him, He will 'wear' you just as you are and fill you to the utmost. And may Lucas find some baby clothes that are long enough for him yet don't swallow him whole :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Uncle Free!!! I am trying to fit into my clothes. Mama says when I get a little bigger we are coming to see YOU!!!!!!!!! Until then I will keep eating and growing! Love you lots.

Lucas