February 25, 2009

Lent

Continuing from the last post...

If God wants to wear me, there has to be room for Him to fit inside of me. I mean, there is plenty of room. However, I have to empty out the space that is easily filled by all the other stuff I've put inside. Both the good and the bad stuff. I have to be empty in order for God to fit the best inside of me.

Think about it. Have you ever tried to put on an outfit that was partially filled with something else. I mean finding a dryer sheet inside the sleeve of your shirt is aggravating enough! Imagine if your pants were filled with dryer sheets. Oh wow. But dryer sheets can be pretty simple to remove. Ourselves, however, can be more difficult to empty.

And that brings us to this glorious day known as Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the Season of Lent. I won't get into attempting a full explanation of what Lent is. You have the rest of the internet at your full disposal to find out more if you so desire.

Lent provides us with a time to intentionally empty more of ourselves in order that the Spirit may have more freedom to dwell within us. Moreover, Lent is a time to allow the Spirit to shine light in the dark places that are hiding within us so that the Light may bring awareness to those things that need removal.

I am really looking forward to this season this year. I am asking the Lord to do a new thing in me. I want the Holy Spirit to have not only an "open door policy" to my life, but also to have free range to truly dwell within me. I'm not asking for a visitation of the Spirit, I want an inhabitation! May He find the same freedom and room in your hearts. May the power of the Spirit so fill you during Lent that you are never the same again.

No comments: