July 8, 2009

Where you live

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord...." How often have you heard this passage quoted? It is a great promise of the Lord and is often quoted to be an encouragement for fellow believers to have hope and trust in the will of God.

I wonder how many people know the context of this passage and its implication for its original audience. Throughout the many times I have heard this verse (Jer. 29:11) quoted and referenced as an encouragement, it always seems to carry the connotation of waiting on the Lord. And the concept of waiting often inadvertently carries the notion of inaction or causeless living.

When Jeremiah wrote this letter to the Jews who were living in exile in Babylon, he was implying a very different reality. On the one hand, this letter was to encourage them to continue believing in the promises of God, that He would deliver them out of exile and bring them back to Israel. Jeremiah wanted to remind the exilic Jews who they were and that God was still in control. And his encouragement comes in these most famous words. (Jeremiah 29:10-14)

However, before he encourages them with these words, Jeremiah gives the Jews instructions on how to live as exiles in Babylon. He tells them to live! To build homes, marry, reproduce, grow crops, etc. (Jer. 29:4-6) Next, he tells them something which at first glance may seem somewhat unexpected.

"Seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper." (Jer. 29:7)

The Jews are not to just wait, apathetically. Yes, the Lord will faithfully bring them out of exile. But until He does so, they are to seek the welfare and prosperity of Babylon. Their waiting is not to be an inactive waiting.

So, why am I sharing this? Seminary is a great place. There is so much brokenness, transformation, growing, learning, questioning, and kingdom building that takes place here. Quite often, though, I have heard people suggest that seminary can just be a time of "waiting" and allowing the Lord to prepare us for the places to which He will take us. (note: I am by no means attempting to equate seminary with Babylon) However, I believe there is more that He would ask of us. We are called to seek the welfare and peace of the places where we live.

Like myself, some of you are in seasons of your life which are somewhat temporary. You aren't living in the same city that you will be living in five years down the road. You aren't working at the job from which you will retire. You aren't living with the friends and family that you will grow old with. Yet, you are called to live!

During the three, four, or five years that I will be here in Kentucky, the Lord asks of me to trust Him. To believe that He has a plan and purpose for my life. A plan for prosperity and not of harm. A plan for family, community, friends, and the advancement of the Kingdom. He asks that I believe that He will hear me when I pray and that when I seek Him I will find Him.

But He also asks that I seek the peace and welfare of Wilmore. The peace and prosperity of Lexington. And with the gifts and talents that I have humbly been given, that will partly be played out in this great new opportunity I have to serve as the Director of Young Adult Ministries at Trinity Hill. I am so excited about Emerge. And there are so many ways in which I will be able to seek the peace and prosperity of this city by seeing these men and women walking in the truth of our Lord Jesus Christ.

What about you? Where will you be living in a few years? What job are you supposed to take? Who are you supposed to marry? (maybe that's a question only I'm still trying to answer) Don't fear. The Lord has great plans for your future...but in the meantime, LIVE where you are. Be used by Him now. Fight for the Kingdom to come in the community where you are. I'm convinced that as we seek for the welfare of the places the Lord has us, the promises He has for our futures will begin to unfold before us.

Regardless of how "settled" or "unsettled" you are in life, May you seek the peace and prosperity where you are! Pray for the community in which you live. Watch the Lord work in and through you. And as you remember the promises of the Lord, such as this famous one found in Jeremiah 29, also remember the calling of the Lord that accompanies it. His promise to you is not only for you. It is for all His people.

1 comment:

amay said...

No way! I was totally talking to the Lord about that recently. Really serving Him where I am, even though it is temporary.