April 25, 2009

Where's the whistling?

For the first time in 2009, I have walked around Wilmore the past two days without wearing a jacket. It has been amazing. Flowers are blooming. The sun is shining. My allergies are imploding. It has been beautiful. I am not sure that the "April showers" have come to an end. However, joy is returning.

I have always heard about "winter depression" before. How cold weather, less daylight, and being inside for so much time can intensify the feelings of depression in everyone. I am not claiming to be a veteran at this; still, I can honestly say I have really experienced that this year. With the arrival of Spring, however, all is changing. Even amongst uncertainty and the stress of life, I have found myself more and more joyful of late. And I honestly can attest much of it to the weather.

Walking to class on Thursday morning, I was feeling pretty well. After two very very late nights of writing papers, I had actually gotten 9 hours of sleep on Wednesday night (when recovering from malaria, that really doesn't seem like a lot of sleep). I was eating a bagel and preparing to enjoy another grand lecture from Dr. Mulholland. As I past several trees, I heard a few birds singing and chirping. The sounds made me smile, quickly followed by a random revelation. I haven't been whistling.

In the past, I have been known for walking around and spontaneously whistling. I suppose it has just been a way to express joy. I am by no means incredible at whistling (although trying to make my niece and nephews whistle is quite humorous). But the sounds of the birds singing made me realize that I have not whistled in a very long while. I was tempted to begin whistling right then and force myself back into the habit. However, as I thought about it, I knew that my whistling is not what caused my joy. Whistling for me had been a product of joy. Therefore, instead of making myself whistle in hopes that the fullness of joy would return, I simply became thankful of the reminder and decided that I would try to really find more joy in all areas of my life.

The past two days have been much better, thanks to the sun and pollen, and now I await the arrival of the whistling. I will not force it. I will not fake it. I also will not forget it. And I hope to soon be annoying others with my whistles once again.

In this, I am reminded that most of our actions and habits are responses to our perspectives, emotions, and experiences. Therefore, if you find certain behaviors or tendencies missing in your life, don't simply try to bring them back. Identify what their cause was and allow yourself to grow back into those areas that bring you life. Ask the Lord to return your joy, and you will find it in Him through all things. May you all find your whistles again.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Jeffrey not whistling? I can't imagine it! I hope it comes back soon, too! I miss you friend!

Shae said...

Wonderful revelation. I'm glad you didn't try to make it come back, but realized the source of it. I'm praying for your joy to be restored real soon. Uncle Free has to whistle for the kids.