March 25, 2009

Need a Toolbox? (part 2)

Another intriguing fact about having a "handy-man" for a father is that the majority of his presents every year are some version of a new tool. Regardless of if it is Father's Day, his birthday, Christmas, or whatever the occasion may be, a tool will probably be purchased. At times I am genuinely surprised that there are still more tools to buy him. Certainly a day will come when he owns every possible tool that exists and new tools will only come as the old ones break.

However, in the time that I have spent working with my dad, I have come to realize this is not true. With every job, the basic and essential tools are needed. Few times have I known a screwdriver, pair of pliers, or a hammer to not be used. With each specific task, however, certain specialized tools are needed. At times, jobs can be completed by working with whatever you have. Still, the presence of specified and specialized tools often make completing certain tasks much more efficient and possible. In reality, there are times when repairs cannot be made without one very specific tool.

For the average Joe, a small toolbox filled with the basic tools will suffice. For someone like my father, however, a small toolbox will not even suffice in the trunk of your vehicle. No. For my father, a large standing toolbox works to hold all of the "primary" tools. An entire workshop with multiple rooms is needed to house each of the thousands of specialized tools he has. To some outside observers, it may seem senseless to own so many tools. Why would that be necessary? But after working on project after project with him, I can attest to the use of most every tool he has. This is not to say that everyone should own as many tools as my dad does. But when specialized projects are so often being completed, each tool serves its purpose and thus requires a place to be stored.

I am beginning to think of seminary in the same way. I have often heard people refer to seminary as pointless or excessive academic training. People say things such as, "The disciples had no graduate degree, yet they were the men chosen to begin Christ's church. The only training they had was to be with Jesus."

While I understand the point that is being made in such a statement, I remain convinced of the necessity for further Biblical education. While I believe that every Christian would greatly benefit from the knowledge that I am privileged to receive here at Asbury, I also understand that most Christians will never step foot on a Seminary campus.

As I embrace a life of following Jesus and being used to further establish God's Kingdom of love, truth, and grace in the hearts of the people around me, I continue to find more and more situations that require specific skills, specific wisdom, and specific experiences for the establishment of the kingdom. Much like my dad makes use of such specialized tools to complete each project he works on, I hope to make use of every "tool" that the Father is equipping me with here at Seminary. Therefore, I continue to need more storage space to contain all that I am being given.

Although it may appear to most people that my dads tools spend most of their time laying on a shelf or in a drawer, these are the very tools which are needed in order to repair every broken thing that is laid at my father's feet. Likewise, I am sure there are things that I am learning which will remain locked in my heart and brain for the majority of my life. However, I am confident that a time will come when these things will be used to bring restoration to each broken person that comes to my Father's feet.

And just as each of my dad's tools are useless without the skill, strength, and finesse of his hands, everything that I am being given here will be useless without the love and compassion of the Father being the center of my heart. Also, without the skill of my dad's hands, these tools can be dangerous and can destroy the very thing they are meant to repair. I pray that everything I learn here will be employed with grace, humility, and compassion to establish His kingdom.

May your toolbox, or workshop, be filled with every tool available to you. And may each one be properly and adequately handled to bring restoration and transformation in your life and in the lives of those around you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

AMAZING!!! This is so true. I love the way you can put things into perspective.

Love ya,
Elizabeth