March 1, 2009

Ice capades 2.1

I may have found the one thing that aggravates me more than snow/ice/cold weather. Know what that is? Let me tell you. It's the change from 50 degrees one day to 20 degrees with snow and ice the following day. And the daily/weekly cycles that we've been experiencing the past few weeks have been creating plenty of aggravation within me.

Last night, as I drove home from work in the snow/ice/sleet, I had to make a few stops. Each time I returned to my car to drive to the next stop as I made my way home, more and more ice would accumulate on my car. Obviously the hood and windshield stayed pretty clear due to the small bit of heat from the engine. However, the rest of the car became a moving block of ice.

My last stop was to fill my gas tank. I got out of the car (without my gloves because I had lent them to a friend who went skiing this weekend) and walked around to start pumping the gas. There was only one problem...the sheet of ice that covered the door over my gas tank. Problem? YES! After attempting many failed solutions to this problem, I wound up having to use the warmth of my bare hands and my breath to melt the ice away. Then, with hands that hurt very badly, I progressed to open the gas tank and fill it.

As I waited, a car beside me pulled up with a mom quickly taking her small son out of the car as he had and was currently vomiting everywhere. After asking if she needed any help (yes, I do have a heart), I wondered which situation I would prefer to find myself in. 1)frozen hands and an ice covered gas tank or 2)a child vomiting in the back seat...If you know me, then you know which I would prefer. The ice! (you thought I'd say the vomiting child didn't you?) I couldn't chose the vomit because that would require that a child was suffering. And as much as I hate the cold, I would rather deal with that than see a kid get sick.

Next, as I slid the rest of the way home, I tried to simply thank the Lord that I was no longer sick. Even as my car slid sideways across ice covered bridges, all I could do was thank the Lord for my health.

As the "Chronicles of the T-bird" continue, may you all find health and joy in this crazy season of weather. And to all of you Athens folks who I hear got some snow today, may you have more fun in it and stay safer than all of us here in Kentucky.

No comments: