July 20, 2010

Exciting New Voice

One of my favorite narratives in the Bible is found in 1 Samuel 3. I can not imagine how Samuel must have felt through this entire encounter. Maybe it would be best if you take a moment and go read that chapter. While you do, try to imagine the emotions Samuel would have felt. (frustration, excitement, fear, wonder, etc...) And remember, you are reading about maybe a 12 year old boy. This isn't the adult prophet Samuel that we encounter in later scriptures. This is a young boy serving in the temple. (you can catch up on Samuel's history by reading the first two chapter if you are so motivated) So, go read it....


I know how excited I get to hear a familiar voice whether it be a friend's on the phone or my nephew's when I visit home. Likewise, I get pretty motivated when I try to listen to the Lord as well. It is so different, but there is a beautiful grace in waiting on the Spirit and hearing by faith. I know what the journey has been for me in trying to discern the Lord's voice throughout my life. What if you had an experience like Samuel? What if when you heard your name you responded with, "speak Lord, your servant is listening"? And what if that voice then responded? Would you be scared, excited, or would your emotions be dependent on the message you received?

I don't have some great insight into any of this. However, I love reading this story and thinking about all that was going on in Israel (no one had heard God's voice for many years), in Eli's life (his troublesome sons and his care for this boy Samuel), or especially in Samuel's life. I encourage you to read through the story several times and really allow the Holy Spirit to stir your imagination to hear the sounds, see the images, and feel the emotions of this event. As you re-live this small moment in history, may you encounter a new voice. And when you hear it, may you respond with "Speak Lord, your child is listening."