February 8, 2010

cloudy month?

Since I've returned to Kentucky from Christmas break, there has been only one day of sunshine here around Wilmore and Lexington. That day was last Monday, and the shock of the sunlight was stunning as it reflected off the blanket of white snow that still covered the ground. I'm sure sales for sunglasses surged on Monday.

However, every other day has either been overcast, raining, or snowing. I have always heard of seasonal depression for people who live somewhere like Alaska and don't get sunlight for extended periods of time. Or perhaps in Seattle where it is always raining and overcast.

Ladies and gentlemen, seasonal depression has set in. Now, I'm not trying to be overly-dramatic or ridiculous, yet it is true. After talking to several friends and folks who have themselves suffered from it I am convinced that I'm dealing with it on a small level.

I realize that many of you are struggling with very difficult situations and that many around the world are still recovering from devastating tragedies. And for each of them, and for each of you who I know is struggling with something, I'm praying.

But I need the sun! I really do. I would pay money to step outside and sweat. And for all of you out there who know that I am just a cold-natured person, it's not just that. Living in a house with the thermostat on 65 to help with the electric bill, snow and/or below freezing temperatures outside constantly, and a perpetual lack of sunlight is stealing away a great deal of my joy, my motivation, and my peace.

So Father, may you send me the sun. May you send me relief from this struggle and restore the joy of my salvation. And Holy Spirit, may you continue to bring peace and restore the beauty of your creation in every friend and family member of mine who is struggling. Bring forth your Kingdom in Haiti as your children try to find hope. Bring freedom to the millions around the world caught in human slavery (trafficking). As you send the sun to me, send a greater revelation of your Son to the world.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wish I could bottle up some sunshine and send it your way!! Love ya and miss ya!!!

Anonymous said...

hang in there.... brazil is just around the corner

Shae said...

We would love for you to be home with us the past few days. The kids have loved playing outside lately, but Uncle Free would have just made it perfect. Hang in there little buddy; warmth, sunshine, and joy are coming your way! Pray for us as Seth's looking for a new job; he'll no longer have one at Spring Island come May!