June 18, 2009

Ask and you shall receive?

For those of you who keep up with this blog, or my life in general, you know that I have had a few health problems this past year. As of today, my health has returned and as soon as I can overcome these horrific Kentucky allergies, I will know what "full health" feels like once more.

Throughout the many hospital, doctor's office, dialysis center, and medical lab visits, I somehow managed to build quite a set of medical bills. Insurance paid it's part, but still left me with a total of around $2500 to pay. (yeah, imagine what the overall total was) Throughout the year I've been making payments toward this and in a great measure because of my tax return, I was able to knock my balance down to around $1500 by the beginning of the summer. I was rather excited about that. Being a full-time seminary student and only working a part-time job does not allow for extra money, much less the ability to pay large balances.

However, through His provision of a free place to live throughout the summer (by way of house-sitting for friends) and two new jobs for the summer, the Lord had paved a way for me to have my medical bills paid off by the end of the summer. After eliminating that debt, I was going to begin saving to pay for my seminary classes since I have no scholarships for this coming year. I was so thankful for this provision and glad that the Lord had once more proven Himself faithful to me.

A few weeks ago, a wonderful friend contacted me and asked for my mailing address. He has been aware of my medical situation throughout the year and has regularly checked-up on me and is always a huge encouragement to me. I emailed him my mailing addressed and assumed that he would be sending me a card in the mail. And I was right. A few weeks later I received his card as expected. However, rather unexpectedly, included in the card was check with which I was instructed to use to pay towards my medical bills. I was amazed! Over the next few days, I received two more cards with checks in them from other families with similar instructions. Within a week, I had been given $1500 to pay towards my remaining medical bills. (I had to buy band-aids for the scrapes on my chin when it fell to the floor for a few hours)

Why was I so surprised? I know the heart of each of these families and how good they have been to me throughout the years. And obviously we know how good the Lord is to us. I was and remain to be so humbled by their gifts and wrestling with feelings of how unworthy I am for such a blessing.

However, I have recognized one reason why these gifts have caught me so off guard. There have been so many times throughout the past 7 or 8 years when I have been in need of something, and regardless of whether it was a financial, emotional, relational, or situational need, the Lord has met it as I have asked for His provision. Thus testifying to the scriptures which tell us "ask and you shall receive."

The difference with this situation is that I thought the Lord had already provided for my medical bills and answered my prayers through the jobs and living situations He had provided for me. And yet He gave more. Beyond what I was asking. Beyond what I was expecting. Beyond what I could have ever hoped for or imagined. His goodness is so abundant that I received before ever asking. I am simply in awe. I'm in awe both of His love and provision for me, and of the gracious and compassionate giving of friends and families who have for whatever reason decided that my situation was worth investing in.

I can only pray that their investments will bring forth great rewards in the kingdom and that all that they have given to me will be paid back to them tenfold. Their blessing in my life goes so far beyond the checks they sent in the mail. This is only a small aspect of what they have done for me. Still, I am in awe and will forever be blessed by their gifts.

To each of you I give my deepest appreciation. The family I have in you, in my church family, will never be forgotten.


May you receive all the Lord has for you: both the things you ask for and the things that you don't even have the faith to ask for.

No comments: